Thursday, December 3, 2009

How do I go about starting and creating my own makeup line?

I am interested in creating my own makeup line with my sister. we want to design of our own colors, styles..everything our own, but we have no idea where to start. Any help? Thanks..How do I go about starting and creating my own makeup line?
I actually created my own line of mineral makeup called Simply-Minerals, I only sell online, however i have a few people that buy from me to resell on their own.





My line is VEGAN, NOT ANIMAL TESTED, %26amp; 100% NATURAL and FILLER FREE.





It took me over 2 years to get all the formulations EXACTLY how i wanted them. It is a huge thing to do.





First off you'll have to deside what type of makeup you wish to sell, traditional liquids, minerals, etc...


Second, you'll have to research ingredients, what they do for your skin, amounts, colorants, etc...


Third you'll have to find wholesales that you can buy bulk ingredients from (don't forget jars, tubes, labels, etc...)


Fourth you'll just have to experiment, i made a lot of crappy batches before i was happy with the end result. Don't forget though to weight and write down your formulation EVERY TIME otherwise you'll forget the EXACT measurements and you'll have to start again... :( I did that a few times and was so angry with myself!!!





Lastly, once you have your collection, you'll just need to print out materials like cards, brochures, catalogs, etc... to hand out and start gaining customers. I have had my line finished and published for over 2 years now (4 years from idea to now) and I'm JUST NOW starting to get a stead flow of customers... It takes a lot of time to gain faithful customers and to branch out. You'll need lots of time, and tons of patience.





If at anytime you wish to sell my products (please note, you can buy them unlabeled, use your own labels and sell under your own makeup name), just visit my site, email me and i can answer any questions you may have.





Hope i have helped. Good Luck!How do I go about starting and creating my own makeup line?
find a famous person to invest/become a spokesperson
Let everyone know this is what you want to do, eventually the people you talk to will tell other people and word will get around.





Perhaps you should start off by thinking about why you want to do this make-up line. What is missing out there that is making you want to start a new make-up line?


what is it you think, that will make people buy your make up and not someone else's?


what will make you stand out ...


why would someone invest in your line... what guarantees its success?





will your product line be supporting certain causes? ex. vegan, not tested on animals,biodegradable etc. etc.








What are the colours which you would like to include in your make up line. Here the important thing is to start. Once you have a start you can fix the flaws. I am not sure whether you mix your own make up or not, but I guess you could start off simply by coming up with olurs... buy some paint or something and mix them up. Come up with colours that you want your line to have.





Think of a name, the way the boxes etc. will look etc.





Now. Chances are you do not mix your own make up. So you can't really go in the basement right now and start making make up.... even if you did that, not many people would buy it.





Once you have picked your line's name. Patent it.


To start off you have to start small.


start with making pots of balm and things like that, order stickers with your lines name on them (pretty ones) and also order containers which you like. Depending on where you live it should not be too hard to find companies that do this.


Then maybe wrap them with ribbons really nicely or write something nice on a card that goes along with the balm





Bottom line: MAKE IT NICE, make it different





now. Sell it on Ebay.





that is how you start.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
domain name registration